QuickBooks is a leading accounting software that provides Payroll services to the various businesses. Nowadays it is very important to use it as it helps small and medium-sized business owners to pay their employees without getting into much trouble. This is a very beneficial and simple payroll module that is combined with the accounting software comes with different essential options for businesses. It is very user-friendly but sometimes QuickBooks may show some error such as ‘QuickBooks Error PS033’. It happens due to damaged file in CPS folder which makes you unable to open the company file. Apart from this you cannot download the latest payroll updates. So, its necessary to fix this as you might lose some of your important information and data due to this.
This error code mainly appears when you are downloading a payroll update or when you are opening a a company file in the QuickBooks. To resolve this we are going to provide you the best solutions for this problem and will also solve your questions in every way possible.
What is Quickbooks error?
‘QuickBooks Payroll Error PS033‘ is a error which occurs during the downloading of the latest payroll update (QuickBooks payroll update error ps033) or while opening the company file. You might also face the Payroll update Error PS033, if the CPS folder contains any damaged or corrupted file.
The error message that you will receive can be :
“QuickBooks can’t read your payroll setup files. [Error PS033]”
“Error PS033 is caused by a damaged file in the CPS folder”
The above given image shows the error message that is received when the QuickBooks is unable to sync with payroll setup. Lets know its main causes and how to fix QuickBooks payroll update error PS033.
Causes of QuickBooks Error Code PS033
The main reasons or the causes for qb error ps033 have been listed below. Let’s have a look at them:
- Damaged File: The most common reason of receiving the error code is, CPS folder containing Damaged and corrupted files.
- Renamed File: The renamed file of the CPS folder may also result in the error.
- Payroll Subscription deactivated: The deactivation of the Payroll Subscription is another reason the get the error message in QuickBooks.
- Payroll Subscription inactivated: If your Payroll Subscription is inactivated then it may also result in getting the error code.
- PS033 error in QuickBooks Desktop Files: Damaged QuickBooks desktop files is another reason for the same.
- Incorrect Service Key: If you use Incorrect Service Key then the error message will be displayed on your desktop screen.
- Incorrect EIN: Incorrect or Invalid Employer Identification Number(EIN) in your company file is also a reason for error code PS033.
- Payment related issue: Payment related issue or Improper use of QuickBooks.
- Incompatibility with Windows Version: Sometimes the QuickBooks Desktop is incompatible with your latest Windows Version.
- Incorrect PSID: Incorrect or invalid PSID in the company file is also a cause for this error.
- If in case there is more than one active payroll in the inactive DDA (Direct deposit agreement), the error message will be shown.
- Unable to apply for latest product update will also deliver you the error code.
Note: It is utmost important for you to ensure that you have a active payroll subscription and you have downloaded the latest payroll tax table. In case your Payroll subscription is deactivated or the the payroll tax table is outdated. Otherwise you might receive some errors even when there are just payment issues or something else.
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error PS033
Now after knowing all the causes or reasons for QB error PS033, there are multiple ways to fix the QuickBook Payroll Error. Let’s check the various solutions for the query How to Fix QuickBooks Payroll Error PS033:
Solution 1: Download and Update the Latest Payroll Tax Table
In this method you will have to update the payroll tax table, to do this just follow the below given steps:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop.
- Select Employees > Get Payroll Updates.
- Click on Download the entire payroll update to the latest update.
- After this click on Update.
- A Window will appear once it gets updated successfully.
Solution 2: Rename the QuickBooks CPS folder
It is advised to rename the QuickBooks CPS Folder as there is a chance that there are some damaged files in the CPS folder. Here are the steps to Rename it:
- Go to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX\Components\Payroll\CPS. Note that XX is the QuickBooks version like: QB2017 or 2018.
- Now simply Rename the CPS folder to CP SOLD.
- Now you can try to Update the QuickBooks payroll tax table.
Solution 3: Step 3: Turn Off User Account Control (UAC)
- Press Windows+R keys in order to open Run Command Box.
- Type Control Panel and Press Enter.
- In Control Panel choose User Accounts tab > User Accounts.
- Now click on Change User Account Control Settings.
- Here move the slider to Never Notify and then click on OK to Disable UAC. (Check out the image for reference).
- Now update the QuickBooks Payroll.
Solution 4: Restart and troubleshoot in safe mode
- Run a Verify and Rebuild Data in QuickBooks Desktop App.
- Now try to Update the QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release.
- After this simply Restart your computer in safe mode.
- Update the QuickBooks payroll tax table.
- Restart your computer.
- Check if the problem is solved.
Solution 5: Rebuild Data & Verify Data
- Firstly, open the QuickBooks App.
- Now click on File tab.
- From here select the Utility option > click on Rebuild Data.
- Now a warning message to backup will be displayed, click on Ok option to take backup.
- Now save your backup company file on your PC.
- Press the Enter key followed by Ok option to save it.
- Now wait for sometime, Click Ok.
- Your Rebuild has now completed.
- Now, Verify the data to check the remaining damaged data.
- Click on the File tab > Utility Option.
- Click on Verify Data.
- If you do not find any error here then simply restore a backup.
- Click on the File option and select the Restore option. (Warning: Don’t overwrite existing company file).
- Fix has been applied.
- 1 What is Quickbooks error?
- 2 Causes of QuickBooks Error Code PS033
- 3 Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error PS033